Welcome to the Good Guys Posse Hitching Post!

Welcome! Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Download Match Schedules and Scores
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Wild Bunch Info

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dd

dd

Gnome, gnome on the range!

• Webslinger & Rough Rider
  • 7,134 posts
  • SASS#:27228
  • Home SASS Club:Good Guys Posse at Dry Gulch Ranch
  • RO Qualification:ROII Inst.

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Notice that this is mainly for major matches, not necessarily local matches.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTENTION WILD BUNCH SHOOTERS

This is to emphasize the importance of reading the Wild Bunch rules with some paraphrasing of my own.  Much of this information is from the Range Operations/Match Directors Handbook.

SASS Wild Bunch Action Shooting (WBAS) IS NOT Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) with a 1911.  Although it is related to CAS, WBAS is a different game with many different rules, safety & otherwise.  WBAS requires large caliber firearms, high power factor ammunition and more pistol shots per stage.  The next 3 sentences will raise some eyebrows, but the rules can be easily followed and there ainít  no reason for anyone who wants to shoot Wild Bunch matches to get the drizzles over SASSí Wild Bunch rules.

5 pistol and 5 rifle rounds will be collected from each shooter and bagged and tagged before or early in the match.  One bullet will be pulled from a pistol round and one bullet from a rifle round, then weighed to verify a minimum of 180 grains.  The other 4 pistol rounds and 4 rifle rounds will be fired over a carefully controlled chronograph using the shootersí firearms to ensure a minimum power factor of 150.  velocity x bullet weight divided by 1000.  If your rounds are found to Not be up to snuff, you may still shoot the match, but you wonít get a score.  Heck, Iíve been to several matches where I wished my score hadnít been posted.  The rules are posted on SASSí Wild Bunch website (sassnet.com).

SASS has mandated that all WB championships at state level and above be stand alone matches.  This yearsí Illinois WB championship will be held at Sparta on the 5th weekend in March.  Iíve been asked to do the ammunition testing for the state match.  Although I plan to completely follow SASS guidelines, I will also make it as painless as possible.  There are specific guidelines pertaining to setting up the chronograph station that must be followed to ensure consistency and fairness for all.  I will be available to help you, NOT to trap you.  I will have the chronograph station set up side match day (Friday) and also veryearly Saturday morning.  I would be happy to chronograph some loads for you at those times.  I will probably start collecting match ammo from you right before or a little after the main match begins.  I also plan to check loads at most matches I attend in  my area, free of charge, including CAS matches, if ok with the club.  So bring your 1911 and rifle with ammo if you would like me to chronograph them for you.  Just remember that just because a certain load chronographs at x velocity in your buddies pistol or rifle it may be higher or lower in your weapons not to mention temperature and other factors.      

Shell Stuffer

Sass # 33146

January 2012

~dd~

Posted Image

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson
Guns have only two enemies - rust and politicians.

1911........Much faster than 911

ISRA Life
NRA Life Benefactor, NRA Golden Eagles
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor
Illinois State Police Certified CCW Instructor
SASS Certified RO II Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is subsidized by Good Guys Posse, Inc. as a service to No. Ill & So. Wis. Cowboy Action Shooters™. Good Guys Posse, Inc. is a non-profit, SASS and NRA affiliated Cowboy Action Shooting™ club. We can be contacted at 1 Wooded Lane, Hawthorn Woods, IL 60047. All material posted on this forum is the sole responsibility of the author. Good Guys Posse, Inc. has no control over its content. All website structure, modifications and skins are Copyright © 2006 Denny Granger, excluding the prior Copyrights of Invision Power Services, Inc. Good Guys Posse Cowboy skin by dd.