Aug 10 Aug 25
Sept 14 Sept 22
Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

Hostiles

Anyone else seen the new movie "Hostiles" starring Christian Bale and and Rosamund Pike? I thought it was pretty entertaining movie, though it showed some of the grimmer aspects of the "taming" of the American west.

I was too interested in the plot of and the action in the movie to pay close attention to the firearms used, but according to http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Hostiles the main gaffe was some troopers using Sharps 1859 carbines in the year 1892.

I thought they pushed the boundaries of realism a bit with how much gear they had when on a mission, considering the limited number of pack horses they had. It is a good movie, though.

Snidely Whiplash

Comments

• We saw it also. It was long, dragged a bit here and there, but enjoyed it. They should have used black powder blanks. Historicly, it made me shake my head to think of how we treated the indians.
  • I enjoyed the film as well.  Mostly authentic.  If I'm not mistaken in the opening scene of the attack on the homestead, they were using black powder--guns boomed rather than banged and looked pretty smokey.  1892 is a transitional time and both black and smokeless cartridges were in use.