Welcome to the Good Guys Posse Hitching Post!

Welcome! Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Download Match Schedules and Scores
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Thinking about next season...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jeweler jim

jeweler jim

Posse Whipping Boy

• Rough Rider Emeritus
  • 3,991 posts
  • SASS#:50409 L
  • Home SASS Club:GOOD GUYS POSSE / DRY GULCH RANCH
  • RO Qualification:ROII

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

I had a few minutes before getting ready to go to the store to take advantage of the unwashed masses while buying their gold and thought I'd throw a couple of comments up here.

Some of you probably also check things out on the SASS wire and might have noticed the comments and some of the negative shots taken at Tex for his most recent editorial in the December Chronicle.  Without taking any kind of a position on that one I wanted to let the posse know that Sleepy (Asleep At The Wheel) has volunteered to write and set the stages for all our matches next year.  Seems that my stages and set ups have come under question with a number of shooters walking to he unloading table shaking their heads and muttering something about "Who wrote these stages?"  Anyway I suspect that most if not all the stages will be pulled from major matches from around the country this last year and before.  At our last match (that was written by Sleepy) we got nothing but compliments about the way it was written.  Which brings me to my "Comment."  Most know that Sleepy is usually in the top finishers at most shoots and the fact that he will be writing the stages for us next year doesn't really enter into how he might finish or score at our matches.  I'm just happy that we'll have another person helping out for the set up at the range.  That's not to say that Sleepy wasn't already out there helping, but he wasn't that much involved with writing the stages in the past.  So if anyone thinks this might give him a competitive advantage they can "kiss my grits."  On a bad day Sleepy can beat most of us and as he doesn't have one of them "computers" I can talk behind his back like this.  Tex's ideas of "cheating or unfair advantage" don't play out in this one.

So while questioning unfair advantage might change my normal  :diablo: "caring, loving, compassionate & warm fuzzy demeanor" :diablo:  I would accept any and all comments towards what might need addressing or changing at our shoots next year.  We will pretend to listen with rapt attention and who knows maybe the suggestions might get implemented.  The board's annual meeting is coming up the beginning of February and that's where the initial plans for the shoots and other issues get fleshed out.  They usually bring in a team of auditors to check the books that I keep and sometimes we even get to eat pizza after the meeting.  So any ideas, thoughts or suggestions, pass them on to one of the Rough Riders to be considered or brought up at the meeting.  Sometimes there are good ideas that don't see the light of day becuse of range limitations, finances or labor, but let us know what you're thinking.    

Edited by jeweler jim, 17 December 2009 - 08:48 AM.

"No Good Deed Shall Go Unpunished"

jeweler jim

#2 dd

dd

Gnome, gnome on the range!

• Webslinger & Rough Rider
  • 7,134 posts
  • SASS#:27228
  • Home SASS Club:Good Guys Posse at Dry Gulch Ranch
  • RO Qualification:ROII Inst.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Well, I liked his stages and I know we all appreciate his help. Tex must have lost to someone who wrote the stages. Who better to write the stages but one who is very aware of range, target & stage limitations? I wonder where Tex is going with this? Are we now going to have a set of SASS "approved" stages we will be required to buy and use? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
~dd~

Posted Image

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson
Guns have only two enemies - rust and politicians.

1911........Much faster than 911

ISRA Life
NRA Life Benefactor, NRA Golden Eagles
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor
Illinois State Police Certified CCW Instructor
SASS Certified RO II Instructor

#3 Longtooth

Longtooth

Rode hard and put away wet one to many times

• Rough Rider Emeritus
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Horses,guns and custom leather work for cowboy shooters and horse trainers.
  • SASS#:47562

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

JJ,

I would like to comment on your statement. The complainers and not knowing who they are but they all seem to fall into the same category at most of the shoots in the past I have attended probably would not shoot any better if you put the targets in front of their nose.

Take it with a grain of salt and kissing the grits my be to good.

Tooth

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more.
You should never wish to do less.
Posted Image

#4 I M Portly

I M Portly

Far Too Much Free Time

• Rough Riders
  • 315 posts
  • SASS#:74384
  • Home SASS Club:Good Guys Posse

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

I totally agree with Tooth.  The only exception is that when I whine it's always justified!  Tsk, Tsk.  I M Portly.

#5 Muddy Gap Shootist

Muddy Gap Shootist

SHOOTIST of the finest kind

• Good Guys Posse
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:Cowboy action shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, table tennis, tennis, drum & bugle corps, the old west, coin-collecting, antiquing, shooting in general, my family

Am now a Certified NRA Refuse to be a Victim instructor. Have also completed the following NRA instructor courses: Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, Home Firearm Safety, and am a Chief Range Safety Officer. Have also taken the student Personal Protection in the Home course. Am on the Board of Directors of the Teller County Shooting Society which is our new shooting range and am in charge of marketing, advertising, membership, and safety.
  • SASS#:57494
  • Home SASS Club:Colorado Cowboys; Lake George, CO

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

I don'ty know "Sleepy" all that well but what I do know is that he is a man of unquestioned integrity.  He would no more write a stage that would favor his ability than he would fly to the moon.  I wish I could be there to shoot his stages as I KNOW they will challenge all, be fun, and be totally fair regardless of the shooter's abilities.  For those gripers, kissing JJ's grits is most appropriate.  Has anyone ever seen his "grits?"    :whistling:
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked across your grave..."

"... I'm afraid the strain was just too much for him to bare..."

THE Muddy Gap Shootist

NRA Life, Patron, and Golden Eagles Member
Colorado Department of Wildlife Bear Aware Team
Merit Badge Counselor for Boy Scouts of America
Member, Pikes Peak Sustainable Business Network

#6 Saguaro Kid

Saguaro Kid

Stick It In Your Ear

• Rough Riders
  • 1,257 posts
  • SASS#:29452

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

In all seriousness, I think Tex's article was a success. I would assume that his main goal was to get everyone thinking and talking. Mission accomplished!

SK
The last thing a guy wants to do, is the last thing he does.
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#7 Push the Button Wyatt

Push the Button Wyatt

Deacon

• Rough Rider Emeritus
  • 1,979 posts
  • SASS#:46657

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

I'm all for it. Kissing JJ's grits,well, maybe. Kissing JJ,no way, never,are you out of your mind ? :shok:

#8 dd

dd

Gnome, gnome on the range!

• Webslinger & Rough Rider
  • 7,134 posts
  • SASS#:27228
  • RO Qualification:ROII Inst.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

Trust me, you don't even want to come within a mile of his "grits".

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
~dd~

Posted Image

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson
Guns have only two enemies - rust and politicians.

1911........Much faster than 911

ISRA Life
NRA Life Benefactor, NRA Golden Eagles
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor
Illinois State Police Certified CCW Instructor
SASS Certified RO II Instructor

#9 Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash

A legend in his own mind.

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the financial collapse of the Illinois state government or a "night of the long knives".
  • SASS#:84621
  • Home SASS Club:RRR ♥ GGP ♣ OCA ♦ BPP ♠
  • RO Qualification:None

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:08 AM

Personally, I vote for whomever wrote the Blind Bullseye side match for the Scholarship Shoot to write all the regular matches. It was quick to shoot, brought out everyone's skills equally, conserved ammunition (which has been high-priced due to our President's promotion of firearms sales), and only required us to get one gun dirty. Can't beat that with a stick.

Snidely
Looking for gold coins, preferably Canadian Maple Leafs - your gold coins, that is... Muhahaha!

#10 jeweler jim

jeweler jim

Posse Whipping Boy

• Rough Rider Emeritus
  • 3,991 posts
  • SASS#:50409 L
  • Home SASS Club:GOOD GUYS POSSE / DRY GULCH RANCH

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

View PostSnidely Whiplash, on Dec 20 2009, 05:08 AM, said:

Personally, I vote for whomever wrote the Blind Bullseye side match for the Scholarship Shoot to write all the regular matches. It was quick to shoot, brought out everyone's skills equally, conserved ammunition (which has been high-priced due to our President's promotion of firearms sales), and only required us to get one gun dirty. Can't beat that with a stick.

Snidely
Pair-A-Dice can be blamed for the stages on that shoot.  

Will more than likely be another nugget made for this year and we'll see if we can upgrade it to a heavier diamond weight.  

"No Good Deed Shall Go Unpunished"

jeweler jim

#11 Push the Button Wyatt

Push the Button Wyatt

Deacon

• Rough Rider Emeritus
  • 1,979 posts
  • SASS#:46657

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

View Postjeweler jim, on Dec 20 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

Pair-A-Dice can be blamed for the stages on that shoot.  

Will more than likely be another nugget made for this year and we'll see if we can upgrade it to a heavier diamond weight.  
Naw,skip the diamonds, i'll take the gold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is subsidized by Good Guys Posse, Inc. as a service to No. Ill & So. Wis. Cowboy Action Shooters™. Good Guys Posse, Inc. is a non-profit, SASS and NRA affiliated Cowboy Action Shooting™ club. We can be contacted at 1 Wooded Lane, Hawthorn Woods, IL 60047. All material posted on this forum is the sole responsibility of the author. Good Guys Posse, Inc. has no control over its content. All website structure, modifications and skins are Copyright © 2006 Denny Granger, excluding the prior Copyrights of Invision Power Services, Inc. Good Guys Posse Cowboy skin by dd.