Aug 10 Aug 25
Sept 14 Sept 22
Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

Thanks for the tour of CAS and Dry Gulch Ranch

Just wanted to say thanks for the tour of CAS on Aug 25 at the Dry Gulch Ranch range. Cornbread Lawman, Dry Fire, and a couple others whose names I don't know, spent some time showing me their guns, answering my questions about this or that.  I think I have to give CAS a try. This afternoon I'm going to check on a used 1894AE I see listed for sale at my local gun shop, a lot cheaper than a new '73 that I was thinking about.  And then I just need 1 more revolver and hopefully I can join the fun and - even hit some targets!  haha

Comments

• Howdy. Sorry I missed you at the shoot this month, I was In Idaho on vacation. I would like to give a word of advice on your choice of rifle. While a Winchester 94 is a fine gun, it's not very well suited for CAS. I think you would be better served to save a few dollars more and find a 92, or 66, or 73. Looks on the SASS Classifieds, there are always rifle for sale. I don't know what caliber your shooting, but I have a Uberti 66 rifle in 44-40 for sale, I will have it at the next match. Looking forward to meeting you.
    KM
  • If you don't get all your equipment by the next match, post here on what you need.  I am sure some one will bring extras to let your borrow.  Like a "try before you buy!!"
    JP
  • Well, as fate might have it, I couldn't find that 45Colt 1894AE they (my LGS) said they have. They did have 3 other 94's in 30-30 though. So, King Medallion, sure, I'd love to take a look at your Uberti 66. I haven't really settled on any caliber yet so I'm open. And Johnny Popper, thx, I'll see what I can get collected before Sep 22 and maybe if I need 1 piece I can borrow one for the match. There are 2 reasons I'm 'Green Gringo' ... 1 of them being I'm greener than grass when it comes to CAS. But Cornbread told me ... just show up and start shooting. Sounds good to me!  Thx.
  • Wrangler RichWrangler Rich Bronc Stomper
    GG, welcome! As said before, let us know what you are short on, and more than likely, one of us has at least 1 extra.

WR
  • Greengringo::Just a word-- Your rifle must be in a pistol caliber-- 38/357, 44-40, or 45 Colt, for example.  30-30 is out because it is a rifle caliber.  Good luck and look forward to meetin ya.  I.M. Portly.
  • edited September 2019
    I couldn't help myself. Just picked-up the Ruger SASS Vaquero set, and a Winchester 1873 should be delivered on Wed. That fills all the holes to get me started. Now, either I'm going to need these new toys to rob the next 5 stage coaches or I need a cheaper hobby. But, Yosemite Sam better run for cover! :-] 
  • edited September 2019
    WARNING!!!  This hobby never gets cheaper!!!!
    Nice looking pistols. 
    JP
  • What caliber?
  • Ah, 357.
  • edited September 2019
    Yep, 357. I was thinking of going with 45C for a while just because I like the look of having the barrel longer than the ejector housing (that's the way the SASS Vaqueros in 45C are), and just to be a little different than the masses. But now that I have these I think they're just fine, and 38spl will save me a few pennies over 45C. I can always buy 45C revolvers later! hehe 

I had them out yesterday for the first time for a little practice and I saw real quick how important practice and getting muscle memory ingrained is. A few times I was rotating the cylinder again before I even got the trigger pulled on the current round/cylinder (ie., now I've got to rotate all the way around again to find it). A couple times I surprised myself with a 2nd quick shot (ie., I'd LIKE to be that fast on purpose, but I know it was just an accident). I guess I have to decide which way to practice for now ... mash the trigger and use the hammer as the initiator to fire while trying to aim, or go a little slower to cock the hammer, aim, pull trigger, repeat, etc., to keep things ... under control I guess would be the way to say it. But I think I know the answer already ... go slow at first. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

And then there's doing it duelist style ... which would take care of any two-handed coordination issues between hammer and trigger. Things that make you go ... hhmmm.  How did others start out?  Mash and fan (not literally 'fan', I know that's verbotten), or slow and methodical?

Now I just need to build myself a wood box and put some wheels under it.
  • Do what is most comfortable  for you.  Just remember ""BE SAFE!!!". 
    JP
  • Start slow - hammer, aim, trigger - hit the targets..... speed comes later.
  • edited September 2019
    Think I have all the basic essentials now, plus an added bonus ... more debt! (haha) Ah well, it's only plastic. Can't wait to get out Sat and try this 1873. I traded a .45-70 Henry lever for it (not an even trade of course), however, my shoulder will thank me.  

• Perfect morning for some shooting out in the field. Lastnight I put 19# hammer springs in the Vaqueros (vs. the 23# they come with), not a huge difference, but definately a difference. Put some first rounds through the 1873 ... I have to say, I can see why this gun was a game changer back then. The action is pretty darn smooth right out of the box. And unless I unexpectedly become Jerry Miculek with a rifle ... I don't think I'm going to mess with any 'slicking-up'. It'll more than keep up with anything I can do with it for now.

I also tried out some black powder loads from Buffalo Arms Co. Fun! But man do they make a mess of your gun in short order! (haha)  Quick question ... I don't see any mention of black powder loads for non-black powder categories in the SASS handbook. It's ok to use though, right? All that smoke certainly adds to the ambience. :-]

• Snidely WhiplashSnidely Whiplash A legend in his own mind.
    You should chat with Border Vigilante sometime about alternative loads.  :) He not only shoots black powder occasionally, he's also put boa feathers and glitter in some of his shotgun rounds.  :o

The SASS Wire Forum https://forums.sassnet.com/ is a good source for ideas and information. Search for "black powder" (with the quotes) to get all mentions of the phrase, or browse the form topics.

Snidely Whiplash

• "Slicking Up" doesn't just slick up the action, it also minimizes the wear and tear on your gun's internal organ's. Regardless of how "slick" it is out of the box, having an action job will help with the longevity of your weapons. I would suggest you have a chat with Huckleberry, our resident gunsmith. He usually has a table out before the shoot in the parking lot. I recommend his services.
  • Thx for all the tips and info folks. I'll keep researching, listening, and reading as I can. Looking forward to the 22nd.