Aug 10 Aug 25
Sept 14 Sept 22
Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

GAF match on 31 July

I conjured a round count for the upcoming GAF on 31 July.  Being that there are NO MISSES in GAF matches, here goes.
65 Rifle
35 Pistol
Pvt Dickweed, unfortunately, will not be in attendance.  Maybe for 29 August???
Reminder, the round counts are minimums...

Comments

• Don: Sorry to say I can't attend.  I had shoulder replacement in march and still cannot handle a full size rifle.  I hope you have a good turnout. Pvt Portly.
  • Snidely WhiplashSnidely Whiplash A legend in his own mind.
    NO MISSES in GAF matches

This is why I left the army and only scout for it. Personally, I feel we should not only allow MISSES, but MRS. as well! Perhaps inviting MS. would be a bit much, even for a progressive such as myself, but we definitely ought to allow MISSES and MRS. in GAF matches.

Just my opinion.  o:)

Snidely Whiplash

• I was asked if a person could use a 22 pistol and rifle.  And my answer is; if that is what you are shooting due to injury or due to no available ammo of larger caliber, by all means I will allow it.  GAF is here to be inclusive.  So, if you are shooting .22 cal, be not left out and come on out!!

To a recent, highly intelligent comment, but mostly ignored by myself, there was a Misses who came out to one of our musters and taught ALL of the rest of us how to score with a rifle.  I will open the brig for his inspection... :)
  • I have a few questions.....What time does the match start........how many stages are there.....are there scenarios we can look at........how is the scoring done (what determines the winner)...........what is the cost of the shoot
  • Snidely WhiplashSnidely Whiplash A legend in his own mind.
    Normally there have been 4 or 5 stages at each muster (match). Scoring is done by timing, you need to hit the specified target(s), the requisite number of times. Sometimes there is a stage which requires enough hits with a pistol that you will need to reload, and that is done on the clock.

We don't get a preview of the stages, but they are fairly simple in concept. The last few musters have had a group shooting task (shooters are divided into a couple of squads if enough people attend) and the stage is timed. There have been precision rifle and pistol targets where everyone shoots paper targets and are scored for accuracy rather than being timed. 

Everyone is sorted by rifle class, instead of age or shooting style like SASS or NCOWS. Ammunition has to be loaded "down", (lead bullets at lower velocities like cowboy shooting), but the list of acceptable rifles http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/battleriflestandards.htm means those who own Spencers, Krags, Springfields, Sharps, etc, can use those guns to compete. "Era single shots, ie trapdoors, Martini Henrys, Rolling blocks, are encouraged, loaded to spec. Course of fire may be different from that of the repeaters at the match directors discretion."

Historically-minded shooters have a chance to show off period military uniforms and gear.

you can scroll down the page at this link https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ to the section labelled Barracks and read the after action reports of previous musters from around the country, including those held at the Gulch.

The cost and starting times are usually the same as a cowboy match.

Snidely Whiplash

• Thanks Snidely!