Aug 10 Aug 25
Sept 14 Sept 22
Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

GAF match 30 July

Hi Everybody!!  I just want to extend an invitation to all to the GAF match this Sat.  I will try to make this short and to the point.  First off, GAF stands for the Grand Army of the Frontier.  It was started by a group of folks who shot the cas matches in a military uniform of the 19th century.  And the main fact that was established is the rifle is your category instead of how you hold your pistol as in SASS.  Military rifles of the 19th century became the norm, and one will see Krags, Mausers, and Trap doors just to name a few.  I am not going to restrict anyone from bringing and shooting a rifle which was used past 1920.  If you participate in the Grand Muster then those rules will be enforced.  But there are many of us that have old military rifles back in the safe and this is an opportunity to get em out and shoot them.  I get asked if cowboy guns are allowed very often and the answer is yes, they are allowed.  Lead bullets here too!!
The only restriction that I will impose is no Thompsons!!  Yes, they were used in both world wars, but the venue for Thompsons is ZOOT.  You have a bolt action .22 well bring it and we will establish a category.  Someone else might have one too and there you have a competition!!  One other thing that I will mention is that in GAF musters there are no misses.  You miss a target then you shoot until you hit it.
This match that we will do Sat contains lots of movement and multiple targets on 2 stages.  We will also do a squad shoot to cut a 2x4 in half.  One of the rifle stages will be on a single standard IPSC target putting as many hits on it as you can in a minute.  I have one pistol stage and it has 12 targets so that involves a reload.
I am going to stop this novel and let all know that much more info is available on the Gand Army of the Frontier web page (gaf.com) or CAS City the Barracks thread.
Something a bit different and only 2 guns to clean after!!

Msgt Long

Comments

• Clarification, rifles are to be bolt action, trap doors, rolling blocks, single shot (Sharps for example) lever action long (rifle cal), and lever action short (pistol cal).  As I stated no Thompsons and I have to include semi-auto rifles too. 
    Any questions?? Send me a message or ask on this thread.  I will check back often!!

Msgt Long
  • Hey Don,
    did you say earlier that we could use 1911 pistols for this match? I seem to remember a conversation about the 1911 was going to be some sort of theme for this shoot. Let me know
  • Yes, that is absolutely correct.  The 1911 will be the theme of the shoot too.  Right on both counts!!