Aug 10 Aug 25
Sept 14 Sept 22
Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

Cimarron Lightnings

<div class="IPBDescription">Think twice before you buy...</div>Got a couple of minutes so I thought I would start a rant on the pistols I use. As most of you know or have seen, the kids and I all shoot the little Cimarron Lightnings in 4 3/4 inch barrels 38 Spec. <br />
<br />
Initially we purchased the lightnings because we needed the smaller size bird head grips to accommodate Lizzie's small hands. But I found that I really liked the way they handled. With the original grips they were extremely light, but I didn't find this to be a problem and after putting the stag grips from Eagle on them I liked the heavier feel even better. I had action jobs done on all four pistols and they go off at 1 3/4 pounds pull (all four guns). <br />
<br />
Now the problems. <br />
<br />
I had the end knob on the ejector rod break off one of the pistols and Cimarron didn't have the parts in stock. Had difficulty in communicating or getting replies from them and ended up going to VTI Parts for my needs. After replacing the ejector rod I sent the broken one back to Cimarron asking for some comment. The next communication I get from them will be the first. Found that there is another Mfg. that makes after market ejector rods, but you have to cut them down to size for the little lightnings. Was told that replacement rods of Uberti mfg. have been found to break again (too soft) and it was suggested that I go with the after market mfg.<br />
<br />
Again, as most of you know I've been beating my head against a wall trying to shoot duelist this year with no success. Found part of the problem was that there was a divot or depression wore in the hammers on my guns and starting to do the same on Lizzie's (wear after only a few seasons). Again, soft metal. Had Floyd weld to fill in the depression on the hammers of all four guns, repolish and reharden them. Problem solved. Now I find that two of the cylinder pins are showing excessive wear and will have to be replaced. Again, soft metal. Seems our Italian friends don't know how to harden steel.<br />
<br />
So if you have to have these little guns, realize that you will have to replace a bunch of parts from the getgo and figure out which screws will need the loctite and which ones have to be checked ongoing. I'm thinking that I have the problems solved now but who knows.<br />
<br />
Also, for those of you who have the uberti rifles, the little knob on the back side of the loading gate will eventually bend over, allowing the cartridges to go up behind and not engage properly with the elevator. First thing to do with them is weld a small piece of steel behind the knob to stop it from ever bending backwards. Lucky for me it bent over at the end of a shoot a few years ago and Floyd was there to hand the gun off to that same afternoon and had it back the next week.<br />
<br />
So while I really like the guns as they are now it means I had to replace a lot of parts that it would have been nice to know about to begin with. Replace the ejector rods, cylinder pins and reharden the hammers on the pistols. Weld a stop behind the little knob on the back side off the loading gate when you have or do the action job/short stroke on the rifle. <br />
<br />
Just some ramblings from behind the display case. Perhaps I should have given this to Dev for the gazette and please remember that I'm the one who is not allowed to touch screw drivers.

Comments

• jeweler jimjeweler jim Posse Whipping Boy
    Cylinder pins have two grooves that hold them static and the cylinder rotates on the pin when in one of the grooves and locks (safety) if pushed in to the second groove in the pin.
  • jeweler jimjeweler jim Posse Whipping Boy
    Lizzie found out about that the hard way at the firing line one day. Pin had got pushed in and gun would not fire. On the bright side, makes the kids start to learn how the guns work.