Sept 14 Sept 22
Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

Cowboy Trap Shoot

Saguaro KidSaguaro Kid Stick It In Your Ear
Well here is the flyer for the GGP Cowboy Trap Shoot. Once again it will be held at the Mchenry Sportsmans Club in Johnsburg Illinois. The second page is a map that should help anyone that has never been to the club <br />
<br />
This shoot is not limited to Cowboy Shooters! Anyone that has a SASS legal shotgun is welcome to attend. If they don't have a SASS legal shotgun, no problem, mine is available for use. So don't let that stop you from coming out for some fun and teasing!

Comments

• What's a good load for trap (our typical #8 stuff?) and how many rounds should we expect to use?
  • DevereauxDevereaux Paladin, Jr.
    #8 and a full choke if you have spin-in chokes. Each round is 25 shots, so plan on shooting about 3-4 rounds. That way you will have enough ammo for whatever.
  • jeweler jimjeweler jim Posse Whipping Boy
    edited July 2008
    (7 1/2 or 8 shot choked anything from mod. to full.) Most of our cowboy guns are not choked that tightly and that's why the spectators have a good laugh watching us when we come out.
  • DevereauxDevereaux Paladin, Jr.
    Some places won't allow 7-1/2 as it carries too far. Don't know if this is one of those, but one can be on the safe side and shoot #8. Not a huge difference at the level we shoot at; might be some really good trap shooters that can tell the difference, especially from 25 yards, but that ain't where we shoot.
    To the best of my knowledge they're not that concerned with shot size. <br />
    <br />
    Not current owners, but at one point in time I had a bunch of paper #2's in ten gauge that they let me burn up on trap. I believe it was three or four rounds of trap that I shot and gathered a small group that watched as I bruised the crap out of my arm and shoulder. As it was the ten gauge I was shooting alone on their center trap. Again they enjoy a good laugh now and then. <br />
    <br />
    The traps face out over a marshy area and nothing to worry regarding the distance that the shot carries. Don't believe that there would be more than a couple of yards possible distance between the two shot sizes. Now if you're talking buck shot it might matter.
  • Saguaro KidSaguaro Kid Stick It In Your Ear
    edited July 2008
    Sorry for not being on here before. Hard day at work yesterday.<br />
    <br />
    We'll shoot three rounds of 25 rounds each for this event so you will need atleast 75 rounds of no larger than 7 1/2s. That is the only restriction though it seems from JJ's experience they will make an exception occasionally. They also let my boss take his Mossberg tactical out there to try it out.<br />
    <br />
    I sure hope we get some BP shooters, if not I'll have to make up enough to get me through the day.<br />
    <br />
    Should be fun.<br />
    <br />
    SK
    Again, it was not the current owners and perhaps over thirty years ago. That side by side 10 gauge was fun, especially when you pulled both triggers at once. Four and a half ounces of lead going out at once made for a pattern that the geese did not appreciate. If you were in the blind when I occasionally did it you didn't appreciate it either, but it did kill the birds. <br />
    <br />
    (Also tended to cause nose bleeds to the idiot that pulled the triggers. Not to mention the bruising to the shoulder.)
  • <br />
    <br />
    Sounds like a lot fun.... Whats the dress code? Full-cow? Casual-cow? Cow-optional? haha<br />
    <br />
    Santa Fe Jim<br />
    <br />
    <br />
  • Saguaro KidSaguaro Kid Stick It In Your Ear
    Cowboy attire is encouraged. We may never have another chance to draw some of the non-Cowboy folks that will be at the range into our game. <br />
    <br />
    SK