Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

GRAND ARMY OF THE FRONTIER (GAF) ILLINOIS MUSTER

GRAND ARMY OF THE FRONTIER (GAF) ILLINOIS MUSTER<br />
TO BE HELD AT GGP RANGE SATURDAY MAY 30, 2009<br />
The Grand Army of the Frontier (GAF) is an organization that promotes and enhances the portrayal of Victoria Era military personnel, from 1860 to 1900, while participating in Cowboy Action Shooting and similar activities. The GAF is NOT a military, paramilitary, pseudo-military, or militia organization, and it does not espouse any political philosophy or policy. Membership is open to veterans and non-veterans alike. You can join by going to the website: www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org Membership is free. There are three members of the GGP who are members: Shamrock, Thunderbird Kid, and Sergeant Scattergun. The GAF forum is at www.cascity.com at The Barracks.<br />
<br />
The GAF got its start from SASS and NCOWS members who like to wear military uniforms while they shoot. It also includes reenacters, skirmishers, living historians and others who are interested in this eras military history. Uniforms are not required to be a member, but are strongly encouraged. You may have seen me at GGP matches in my 1870s era Cavalry Sergeants Uniform. <br />
<br />
A national muster is held annually. This year it will be held the weekend of October 9-10-ll in Nebraska. I have participated in two national musters. State musters have been held in Kansas, Iowa, and Minnesota. <br />
<br />
The musters we conduct are similar to SASS matches, but the categories differ. GAF classes are rifle based. They are all 2 gun one rifle and one pistol unless specifically stated. The classes are based on GAF Battle Rifle Standards. Classes include:<br />
Milspec Repeating Rifle Smokeless and Black Powder and related era handgun<br />
Milspec Single Shot Smokeless and Black Powder and related era handgun<br />
Militia Lever Action and/or civilian spec repeaters in rifle caliber and related era handgun<br />
Scout Lever Action, pistol calibers, and single action revolver<br />
Staff Officer Handgun only Milspec of documented military use.<br />
Infantry Milspec rifle only<br />
Buffalo Scout Single shot hunting rifles (no ejectors) single action revolvers<br />
<br />
There is a lot of reloading in GAF musters, both rifle and pistol. Misses are scored as 10 second penalties. Those wishing to use cap & ball revolvers may use more than one cylinder, but will have to cap on the clock. All calibers in Milspec will be Milspec. For instance I shoot in Milspec Single Shot using an 1873 Springfield Trapdoor in .45-70 and my .45 LC single action pistol. All ammo will use lead bullets, just like SASS, with limits on fps for both rifle and pistol. Pistol calibers in the Scout classes must be single action and have a minimum bore diameter of .357. <br />
<br />
GAF musters are another way to enjoy the sport we all love. On May 30th we will shoot five stages that will follow the theme of Gen. U.S. Grant Fought Here, with emphasis placed on the Illinois Regiments place in history. Sorry Dice, but he did win battles and the war, you cant change history. We will have lunch and in the afternoon shoot some Wild Bunch Stages, bring your 1911s, lever action rifles and 97 shotguns. If there is sufficient interest, we will also run the GAF qualification course. <br />
<br />
Im looking forward to running this event and hope that a lot of my GGP pards join us. If you have any questions get a hold of me at shamrockgannon@live.com. <br />
<br />
Since Mrs Shamrock and my #2 Daughter are preparing lunch, please drop me an email if you are planning on coming so we have enough food.<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
<br />
Bvt Lt Col Pat Shamrock Gannon, GAF # 448<br />
Commander, Division of Illinois

Comments