Hope to see you there!!

Interesting historic trip

Thunderbird Kid, our landlord, is visiting Arizona and sent these along-<br />
<br />
=====================================================<br />
<br />
Howdy friends,<br />
<br />
I arrived in Tombstone, Arizona yesterday and the first thing I saw was another shooting in the streets in front of the OK corral. This town pretty rough. I met up with Ellsworth T. Kincaid and the rest of the posse at the Crystal Palace for dinner. That was one of Wyatt Earps favorite hangouts.<br />
<br />
The posse is going to ride the Wyatt Earp Vendetta Trail. If you have seen the movie Tombstone with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer from around 1993, you may remember that after Wyatt's brothers were shot, he went on a vendetta ride to eliminate all of the gang responsible. Ellsworth has researched the places he went and we are going to ride the route.<br />
<br />
First thing this morning we had a guided tour of Tombstone with Bob Boze Bell. He is the Western historian and writer that you have probably all seen on the Western TV Channel. Then we headed out to the livery stable to pick out our horses. I picked Twister, a nice black horse who I had ridden last year at the Little Big Horn. With Twister, I knew what I was getting and trusted him right away for jumping the arroyos and galloping through the cactus.<br />
<br />
Next we rode over to the movie set where they actually filmed most of the Tombstone movie. This is a town built just for the movie. Sadly, it's falling into disrepair but still quite fascinating. We took some photos of us galloping down the streets of Tombstone. On the way over there we ran into an old mounted shooting friend, Dave Daiss. He was just riding around in the dessert when we came across him. I think he was looking for us. Anyway, it was good to see him again.<br />
<br />
After a quick pack lunch in Tombstone (Twister kept trying to steal my sandwich until I found him some grass) we headed out again.<br />
<br />
The next stop was the site Johnny Ringo's grave. This was the place where he was actually found shot. Some say it was Wyatt, some say Doc Holliday got him. We'll never really know. Ellsworth brought along a bottle of Ringo's favorite brand of whiskey and we all drank a toast to the mean murdering son of a gun who got what he deserved on that site.<br />
<br />
Tomorrow it will be breakfast at the livery stable and then we head up to Cochise's stronghold........<br />
<br />
More later.<br />
<br />
I'm sorry that I have no photos to include yet. I forgot to bring the cable that connects the camera to the computer. Maybe Sue will bring it when she flies out to join me on Thursday.<br />
<br />
Rob Arntzen<br />
Winnebago, IL USA<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Comments