Aug 10 Aug 25
Sept 14 Sept 22
Oct 12 Oct 27
Nov 9 (???)

Registration 8 A.M. Safety meeting 8:45

How to Get to the Dry Gulch Ranch Cowboy Range

Hope to see you there!!

Why we require registration before posting

I've heard several negative comments regarding our policy of requiring a person to register before posting. I review every registration and either approve or not. This is to keep trash off our website. Here is an example of a site that doesn't do that.<br />
<br />
Read it here.

Comments

• Snidely WhiplashSnidely Whiplash A legend in his own mind.
    dd wrote on Nov 14 2009, 02&#58;01 PM:
    I've heard several negative comments regarding our policy of requiring a person to register before posting. I review every registration and either approve or not. This is to keep trash off our website.
    <br />
    <br />
    I'm all for registration to block out spammers. I read and post on several boards regularly, but only one of them which allows immediate access to posting, and only because the topic of that one board is of such special interest to me. I'm not here to read about condos in India, discounts on shoes or electronics from China, or non-pharmaceutical sources of ED pills. Registration (plus a brief waiting period) keeps out 99% of the trash posters -- human and automated.<br />
    <br />
    Like the man said, Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.. If anyone complains about your policy, tell them to register a domain name ($11/yr at GoDaddy.com), rent some web server space ($40/yr at DeerfieldHosting.com and install some message board software (free at phpbb.com) and for less than a buck a week they can go to town with anonymous posters.<br />
    <br />
    Snidely
  • dddd Gnome, gnome on the range&#33;
    Snidely Whiplash wrote on Nov 16 2009, 08&#58;33 AM:
    I'm all for registration to block out spammers. I read and post on several boards regularly, but only one of them which allows immediate access to posting, and only because the topic of that one board is of such special interest to me. I'm not here to read about condos in India, discounts on shoes or electronics from China, or non-pharmaceutical sources of ED pills. Registration (plus a brief waiting period) keeps out 99% of the trash posters -- human and automated.<br />
    <br />
    Like the man said, Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.. If anyone complains about your policy, tell them to register a domain name ($11/yr at GoDaddy.com), rent some web server space ($40/yr at DeerfieldHosting.com and install some message board software (free at phpbb.com) and for less than a buck a week they can go to town with anonymous posters.<br />
    <br />
    Snidely
    <br />
    <br />
    Thanks, Snidely! I agree wholeheartedly. It is rare that we have problems here but I have had to remove some posts that crossed over the line. On the other hand, about 2 years ago, I turned off the "dirty word" filter as it wasn't being triggered and sometimes tagged an innocent post. Just shows that most of the folks here are ladies and gentlemen.<br />
    <br />
    I review every registration before approving it. If I know of the person, then no problem. Otherwise I look at the registration information, trace the IP, check the validity of the email address, etc. And, yes, I've bounced one or two that looked suspicious but were genuine. After they emailed me we fixed it. Until I blocked all IPs from Russia, Eastern Europe, Asia, etc., I had dozens of registrations a day (even with CAPCHA) and a number of downright attempts to break into the system. That being said, we've been very fortunate that our website has run as smoothly as it has.
  • Denny,<br />
    <br />
    I don't agree completely "we've been very fortunate that our website has run as smoothly as it has". I think that your diligence and hard work is responsible for the way that this board runs.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks for all of your work, and job well done.<br />
    <br />
    Griz
  • I agree with Griz. You do an exemplary job on our website. Keep doing things as you see fit. As I see it if you don't want to register than no posting end of story. Keep up the good work dd.
  • Quite frankly, I would be a little suspicious of anyone who wanted to post but didn't want to register.<br />
    <br />
    SFJ
  • dddd Gnome, gnome on the range&#33;
    Santa Fe Jim wrote on Nov 18 2009, 10&#58;24 AM:
    Quite frankly, I would be a little suspicious of anyone who wanted to post but didn't want to register.<br />
    <br />
    SFJ
    <br />
    <br />
    I guess that there is always someone who doesn't want to be connected with what they say.